There is only so much time in a day, why on earth is sprouting legumes, grains or seeds a good idea?
Let me make myself perfectly clear. Sprouting takes less than 4 minutes of your time from start to finish. That 4 minutes will pay you back exponentially.
Exponential improvement in the health of you and your tribe allowing you to live and be your best! A promise about soaking stuff in water first? Yes indeed!
Microbiota Accessible Carbohydrates….these are the Big MAC’s we LOVE at our house. I add sprouted legumes to EVERYTHING and in so doing help our daughters gut heal while improving our own health.
They aren't just good for her, they are good for all of us! Our uber picky 8 year old almost died and refused to eat the "tail" the first time he saw sprouted lentils added to a burrito. I laughed and told him, "dude, you need to eat the whole spaceship with the tail." Sold.
- Legumes are packed with the fiber the critters in our intestines (gut microbiome) LOVE to eat. The equation is simple. High fiber foods = food for intestinal bacteria = stronger microbiome.
- Fiber is what the critters in your gut eat. Well-fed gut critters = happy, healthy gut critters. Check.
- Fiber keeps you full longer. Check.
- Fiber saves you time sitting on the porcelain throne. Check.
- Sprouting legumes prior to eating helps make them easier to digest (shhh this means less gas). Check.
- Cheap plant based protein - 1/2 cup cooked lentils have 8 grams of protein. Double Check.
- Dry legumes are super cheap. Less than $1 a pound at any grocery store. Last time I was at Costco, organic chicken was about $6 a pound. You have math skills too. Check.
Plenty of reasons to want to add legumes, grains and seeds to your diet but sprouting them first? Yes!!!
Sprouting – DISCLAIMER… if they smell weird, are slimy or moldy….DO NOT EAT THEM!!!!
If you have a mason jar you can do this. Nothing technical, nothing wacky.
Benefits of Sprouting
Complex carbohydrates are broken down into easier to digest carbohydrates = less gas.
Sprouting also allows for our body to absorb more nutrients = more vitamins and minerals to help the cells in our body fight and be its strongest.
If you are sprouting legumes or grains, they will cook faster. Check
Ever head of alkaline (plant based foods) vs acidic (sugar and heavily processed foods) foods? The more alkaline the better. Guess what, sprouting makes legumes, grains and seeds more alkaline which is SUPER AMAZING for our body!!!
If you are still reading, there is a chance you might try sprouting. Seriously it takes nothing fancy.
Here are the steps to sprout your own goodness:
- Rinse 1 cup of lentils (legumes, grains or seeds)
- Place rinsed lentils in a 1 qt mason jar
- Fill jar to the shoulder with water and let it sit overnight or for about 12 hours
- Use your fingers and hand as a colander (or cheese cloth secured with a ring) and drain water.
- Prop jar on a towel at an angle to allow for drainage and air flow.
- Rinse 2-3 times a day by filling the jar with fresh water and pouring it out again using your fingers and hand or cheesecloth as a strainer. Continue to prop jar on a towel at an angle. Your sprouts are ready when they have ¼ inch “tails.” (After the overnight soak, it takes until about the end of the second day to get them to sprout.)
- Place sprouted lentils in a medium saucepan and add water to cover plus an inch or so. Bring to a boil then cover with a lid and simmer for 15-20 min or until tender. Each legume or grain will have a different cooking time BUT it will be faster than a non-sprouted legume or grain. Freeze extra in zip lock baggies, all ready portioned.
WHERE TO USE SPROUTED grains or legumes –
SALADS, SOUP, CASSEROLES, SCRAMBLED EGGS and add to meat dishes like tacos, shredded bbq. You name it and I will have been accused of adding lentils to it.
They are amazing in everything and with everything!!! There is also a really good chance you can get away with them added to brownies and cookies too. Shhhh!
Sign up so you don't miss a post. Like, follow, pin or comment - I would love to hear your questions so I know what to do to better help you understand easy, awesome ways to improve your health!